- How much energy did I use? Could I have used less?
- How much time did this cost me? Did I really need all this time?
- Does the end result look perfect? Would good have been good enough?
Those are scary questions, it is often a little scary to look at yourself. “You know what you have, not what you will get.” Change is always hard.
If you did look at them, were you surprised at the outcome? Were you more of a perfectionist then you thought? Many people need a wake up call to realise they are.
I think there is no better month to break old patterns than December. This month can be such a strain on your energy. If you are like me you want everything you do to be perfect. If you are balancing, work, family and friends there comes a time when there are just not enough hours in the day.
Yet it doesn’t have to be that way. There are some things you can do to make sure that you have some time for yourself this year.
- Minimize your christmas card list. Or decide to send some e-cards. It takes less time.
- If you send parcels to friends all over the world it might be time to stop. Notify the friend that you are not doing so anymore but you value their friendship. A good friendship will survive without presents. Saves time and money.
- If you cook for christmas, it doesn’t have to be perfect. If you have people over, ask everyone to bring one dish. You will have plenty to eat and fun and you don’t need to spend days in the kitchen.
I am sure that if you sit down and think about it, you can add a lot of examples that are specific for your situation.
Another good tip. Share your holiday schedule and plans with a good friend and ask for their advice. They know you well and give you tips that you might not have thought about yourself.
Take care of yourself this month! And most importantly: have fun!